Hi Filip!
> fo = file:///tmp/test.txt
> fo2 = file:///tmp/TeST.txt
> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException:
> Could not rename "file:///tmp/test.txt" to "file:///tmp/TeST.txt".
>        at
> org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.AbstractFileObject.moveTo(AbstractFileObject.java:950)
>
>        at RenameCase.main(RenameCase.java:34)
> Caused by: org.apache.commons.vfs.FileSystemException: Could not
> rename file "/tmp/test.txt" to "file:///tmp/TeST.txt".
>        at
> org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.local.LocalFile.doRename(LocalFile.java:134)
>
>        at
> org.apache.commons.vfs.provider.AbstractFileObject.moveTo(AbstractFileObject.java:936)
>
>        ... 1 more
>
> After this, neither file exists anymore.... That could cause some
> major head-aches...
Works here (on linux) you are on windows, no?

Do you mean, the file is physically lost, or only logical in the FileObject.
If its physical lost, then I'd please you to check it using plain
java.io.File.renameTo - VFS should not delete the file.

Maybe you can debug through AbstractFileObject.moveTo - it should enter
"if (canRenameTo(destFile))" - and there is only a renameTo in the end.
Strange.

I have no windows running now, maybe on monday I should be able to check
it myself.

Ciao,
Mario