Hi Stephen!
>> Simple question - can [vfs] be released *now*, with a minimal set of
>> code?
I'd say, yes.

>> I presume that the first release might thus consist only of the core
>> plus standard java File and ram? No compress, ftp, http, ... I
>> emphasise, think small.
As Filip already pointed out, I too think for a user this release is not
much of help.
Based on Rahuls proposal I'd go to copy compress into VFSs codebase so
in the end we only miss
- smb
- webdav (Sorry Thorsten ;-) )

>> split jar files ..... if someone, eg a maven expert, wants to set
>> up the multi jar solution
I know, you said (as I do) the jar-per-filesystem is the clean solution
to go, but you also pointed out (as I do too ;-) ) the amount of work
for each voter then.
So when you talk about to setup a multi-jar-solution, do you mean the
jar-per-fs or the two-jar (vfs, sandbox) solution?

Ciao,
Mario