With the help from Rory, I got the FTPSClient to work with the apache ftp server, thanks! I only ran into one issue:

I'd like to also secure the data channel, so I used

ftps.login(user, password)
ftps.execPROT("P");

It works fine the first time I upload a file to the server, however, the server hangs so that any other uploads I try after that fails and I have to restart the server. If I remove the execPROT("P") command, this issue does not occur.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Susanne