Hi!
> Do you think that could be a feature for VFS to take care about conversion on
> heterogenous networks?

I am not sure. VFS can't do it easily automatically. As far as I can see
it is hard to determine the target OS through the filesystem layer. e.g.
a smb connection do not necessarily mean that the source nor the target
is a windows machine, it could also be a linux with samba running.

So, what will be left is some sort of Input/OutputStream wrappers which
can be configured accordingly, but then such streams are better located
in commons-io - IMHO.

Ciao,
Mario