On 1/28/07, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 1/28/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/28/07, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 1/23/07, Rahul Akolkar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip/>

> > > As nits, I'd also suggest:
> > > * Including filename in md5s
> > > * Building with JDK 1.3
> >

> > This presents a challenge, which I don't know exactly how to deal with.
> > The  last release (1.2.1) was build with  maven using jdk 1.4.  The ant
> > build works using 1.3, but does conditional compilation in that case to
> > target jdbc 2.0 and also adds the jdbc 2 stdext dependency.  Could be
> the
> > best thing to do is to add a note in the README indicating how to build
> > under 1.3.  Is that acceptable?
>
> Sounds much the same as DbUtils 1.1. It was built under 1.4 and the
> release manager was trusted to have checked that the 1.3 build works.
> Just in case something odd crept in JDK wise.

I have both built and run tests on 1.3.  Just so we are clear, I assume that
since we can't practically build [dbcp] on 1.3, I assume it is OK to build
it using 1.5, rather than 1.4 as in the previous release.  I could cut the
release using 1.4, but don't see the value in that.  Can anyone else?
Thanks for the feedback.

<snap/>

I believe Commons libraries should take the more conservative
approach, where practically possible (I wouldn't want to cut releases
with JDK < 1.3, for example). At the end of the day, this makes the
RMs job easier.

FWIW, I feel the need to go through more rigorous testing when I pick
up a library (be it Commons or otherwise) that is built with a higher
JDK than my platform -- or I just rebuild from source, if I can.

Ultimately, this decision is upto the RM. For example, in this case, I
won't be voting against *just* because you build with JDK 1.5 (though,
FWIW, I may not vote in favor either).

-Rahul

Phil