How does a calling application override the message, if they wish?

On 2/3/07, Phil Steitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 2/3/07, James Carman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, I wouldn't even provide a getMessage(Locale).  I'd leave it up
> to the running application to resolve the message.  For instance, in
> Tapestry, it doesn't use resource bundles to localize messages, at
> least not directly in application code.  It uses a special Messages
> object.  So, I would provide getKey()/getParameters() methods only and
> leave it up to the containing application to localize the text.  That
> way, they can give some context to the error message instead of
> relying upon us to be general enough.

The problem with that is that generic handlers that display messages would
not work. I like the idea of carrying the data along, though and exposing
it, as well as providing translate (see
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/math/trunk/src/mantissa/src/org/spaceroots/mantissa/MantissaException.java?view=markup
)
and getMessage(Locale) methods.  That gives client apps the most
flexibility.  What do you think, Luc?

Phil