On 2/7/07, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2/7/07, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Digester - ??
>

> Recently had a 1.8 release to clean up memory leaks and a few other
bugs.
> For a 1.x release it seems like you could call it stable.  But the
> architectural approach (including its dependence on the six year old
> BeanUtils architecture) could certainly use a remodel.

Do you have a suggestion/idea on what you would replace BeanUtils with?

I'm biased by my own experience, of course :-), but any implementation of an
expression language has to solve the same set of problems that BeanUtils
solves, plus a whole lot more.  Coupled with the fact that the JSP/JSF
expression language APIs are being split out into a separate spec so you
could have implementations of it that have nothing to do with the web tier,
if I were building Digester today I would likely think about mapping the
property setter type rules to EL evaluations.

(Of course, because we're dealing with XML directly here, XPath expressions
might be another choice ... but they will be less familiar to Java
developers.)

Craig