oh there's a 3rd option that I even like more

3) make new releases in new groupid, no relocations at all
+ easiest ;)
+ users trying to upgrade will need to know that the groupId has
changed and act by themselves, so they will be involved, and in case
of classpath problems they will know what has changed
- it'd be better to wait until a major/minor release so users can get
bugfixes easily