Henri Yandell wrote on Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:36 PM:

> On 4/3/07, Jochen Wiedmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I've got a question: If we have commons.apache.org, what will be the
>> difference to jakarta.apache.org, apart from the missing projects?
>> Why do we expect that c.a.p will work, although we assume that j.a.p
>> didn't?
>
> I had three answers to this in my first email, here's a
> rewording/summary to see if I can explain them better:
>
> 1: The inactive parts of Jakarta is a millstone around the neck of the
> active parts. Trying to reorganize such things is a battle that I
> don't think is worth fighting (so your missing projects difference
> above).
>
> 2: Even if Jakarta does flatten down somewhat, it'll still have a huge
> umbrella type PMC who care for the name and history, but aren't
> involved in the remaining projects. So a c.a.p will have a much more
> focused PMC.
>
> 3: I believe that hanging around is just keeping the old broken system
> alive, us moving to c.a.p would be a big step in driving a Jakata
> solution along.
>
> The other solution is the 'promote all of Commons up to Jakarta
> Subprojects, and groupings and all that jazz' that we talked over a
> year ago; but I just don't think that's going to happen.

I never got why things like ECS, ORO, regexp are not part of commons. What
makes them different to logging or digester? I can understand the separation
for something like POI, but not necessarily for components I would describe as
utitlity libs. Maybe I'm lacking simply historical reasons though ...

- Jörg