On 4/4/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 4/4/07, Niall Pemberton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can anyone say what the usual practice is for assigning groups/roles
> for people once they become a committer?
>
> Theres a "Jakarta Developer" group - it gets you "committer" role for
> Commons Lang and JCI but strangely nothing else.
>
> Would be simpler if it was documented somewhere.

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.

The new JIRA release added the concept of project roles - which is
great for many Apache projects. However we want to be able to grant
project roles to N JIRA projects at the same time and it doesn't help
with that.

So we need to stay on the old system of assigning a group to the
project, rather than messing around with roles too much (though the
roles stuff does allow for permission to be granted in the short term
while a request for being added to the group is made).

Jeff did a bulk reconfiguration of JIRA and it was only afterwards
that I understood sufficiently that it won't help us much. So now we
need to go ahead and add the jakarta-developers group to each project
role administrator bit.

*pondering*

Might be eaier to setup a Jakarta Permission that sets the group as
having read/write by default, instead of using the Standard Permission
and doing lots of configuring. That should be doable I think.

Hen