Oliver Heger a écrit :

I added an explicit dependency to the newest version of the checkstyle plugin to project.xml. This should solve the problem with checkstyle.

Thank you Oliver and Niall, it does indeed fix this issue.

For the other problem I agree with Nial's answer: Obviously the lower version of the xdoc plugin causes more problems than it solves. So we should better go with the current version, especially if this is the standard for most of the commons components.

That's the easy solution I agree, I don't want to waste too much time getting the titles right if Maven impose its own standard.

But I'm concerned about our nightly reports sending false positives (xdoc) and missing real issues (checkstyle). Maybe it's time to reinstall Maven for the nightly builds, or is this too much trouble ?

Now the new dependency to javax.mail causes me trouble: Compiling with JDK 1.3 fails now because the compiler reports an invalid class version. The mail jar has been compiled with a JDK > 1.3. So what do we do?

I'll check if we can use a previous version of javamail compatible with Java 1.3.

In general I wonder whether all these specialized get methods make sense for DataConfiguration. Wouldn't it be better and more flexible to have a generic method

Object getProperty(String key, Class targetClass)

and then provide a means for registering arbitrary converters? We could indeed use the Beanutils converters for this purpose as was suggested by one jira ticket.

Actually we have the generic methods ! :) I didn't add more specialized get methods in DataConfiguration for the new types, instead I introduced generic getters :

get(Class cls, String key)

getArray(Class cls, String key)

getList(Class cls, String key)

The specialized getters now call the generic getters (except for Date and Calendar), this cuts the nloc by a half. It might be worth moving these methods into AbstractConfiguration now, they offer the features of DataConfiguration without the horde of methods. They would be a nice addition to the Configuration interface for the next major release too.

Regarding the converters I believe we'll probably delegate this part to another API sooner or later (Morph, Beanutils...), but I don't want to add another core dependency. I was thinking about a pluggable conversion system, we would provide a basic implementation derived from the current code in PropertyConverter, and if someone wants more complex conversions he could plug a custom converter using another API.

Emmanuel Bourg