Now this is the part that I don't understand. Why would that have
been an incompatible change? The changes should have been internal to
beanutils.

Because BeanUtils exposes FastHashMap in its public API (and Digester
does the same with ArrayStack) - its the return type from four
methods.

Ahhh ...bugger!

The bad news was that an implementation (rather than Map) was exposed
in the API in the first place. It does seem pretty minor to me
changing that API from FastHashMap --> Map in only 4 places that
probably aren't used outside BeanUtils.

Having said that - the current situation has been in place for over 2
years and there haven't been complaints until now. Just out of
interest which of the 4 classes caused you a problem?

I was tracking down classpath clashes in other areas and basically just did a full check ...and just came across this. I think people are just no aware they are using the old version provided by beanutils.

cheers
--
Torsten