On 6/23/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On 6/23/07, Martin van den Bemt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Noticed the call of toString() on a String during the huntdown of what
>> in beanutils broke the
>> betwixt tests. (in the TestObjectStringConverters)
>> The commit was a bit premature probably, although this is most (read
>> most, so not all) of the time
>> faster that calling toString() on a String. Will revert it (after some
>> sleep) if that is what you
>> are asking (code is more readable without the addition, agreed).
>
> Sorry was grmupy earlier - I leave it up to you.

No problem, I kind of deserved that response with that commit :) If I am
absolutely certain about a
possible performance gain, I'll leave it in else I will revert it.

>> Another questions (probably related to BEANUTILS-258) : The failing
>> gump of betwixt is related to
>> the changes you made to ConvertUtilsBean.convert(Object). In beanutils
>> 1.7 a default lookup is done
>> for the type String.class and in the new code this is just the case
>> when no converter can be found
>> for the sourcetype, which makes the new beanutils code not a drop in
>> replacement of the old one and
>> not backward compatible. I will see if I can run the beanutils 1.7
>> testcases against trunk tomorrow
>> (they should pass, or am I being simplistic here?)
>>
>> Was this breakage intended and what are your thoughts on how to handle
>> this ?
>
> I'm not familiar with betwixt - but I will look at this - hopefully
> sometme this weekend.

I'll see if I can make a "simple" testcase which shows the problem (so you
don't have to dig into
betwixt itself). We currently have 24 tests failing with beanutils trunk..

I had a quick look at one of the failing tests and understand the
issue with that one - I'll look at the rest and write something up
later.

Niall

Mvgr,
Martin