>From my recollection:

What used to happen was a vote for the process and not the artifacts,
which isn't in line with what the ASF expects us to do (we have to
vote on the artifacts to provide the release manager with what little
legal cover is possible).

We now do have votes on the release artifacts.

Having a vote on starting the process isn't strictly required, but
checking that noone has anything they want to get into the next
release is a good idea!

David