Sounds like a good plan. I am happy to help if needed.

One quick question regarding the HttpURL and HttpsURL classes. I mentioned this earlier when you were discussing the commons-uri package. Are these classes needed and would we want to bring them in to a new package?

Mike

Jeffrey Dever wrote:

This is just a draft regarding factoring out the URI based code in HttpClient into its own dedicated package. Please comment.

(0) rationale

The concept of a URI is prevelent in networking. A specific form of URI, a URL is used ubiquitously across the internet. Currently HttpClient houses the URI and URL based classes, but these have much broader use. This common functionality should be housed in its own dedicated, small, reusable package. Any projects that require URI, URL or URN functionality can do so by importing a small, focused package, commons-uri.jar.

(1) scope of the package

The package shall provide a complete java implementation of RFC2396. This includes the URI as well as URL and URN classes and utilities. The implementation will be fully character set aware.

(1.5) interaction with other packages

Have no dependancies beyond the standard java packages.

*

(2) identify the initial source for the packages

Various classes in common from from Commons HttpClient Jakarta Slide.

(2.1) identify the base name for the package

org.apache.commons.uri

(2.2) identify the coding conventions for this package

The code uses the conventions from the Jakarta Commons.

(2.1) Identify the initial file structure

jakarta-commons/org/apache/commons/uri

uri/
URI.java
URIUtil.java
URIException.java
url/
HttpsURL.java
HttpURL.java
urn/
(3) identify any Jakarta-Commons resources to be created

(3.1) mailing list

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

(3.2) CVS repositories

jakarta-commons/uri

(3.3) Bugzilla

The package should be listed as the uri component under the Jakarta-Commons Bugzilla entry.

(4) identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File.

Jeff Dever (jsdever)
Sung-Gu Park (jericho)
others?