Carl,

>         That's OK, the problem
> I run into is that after running for not very long, I suddenly start
getting
> everything timing out. It's hard to really pinpoint the timing, giving all
the
> activity, and no thread identifiers in the log messages, but I think what
is
> happening is that the system is simply running out of file handles or
> system-level connections.

Are you calling HttpMethod.releaseConnection once you've finished with
each HttpMethod?  If you don't do that, HttpClient will hold the connections
until a garbage-collect reaps the connections.

> A quick "netstat -n" shows a whole bunch of open,
> TIME_WAIT, and other connections. It seems that the Connection Manager is
> keeping them around for re-use, and following HTTP/1.1. One fix was to
send
> "Connection: close" as a RequestHeader, which really fixed things up, but
now
> I am running into sites that are not responding, and not timing out. The
log
> traces into ReadRawLine() and just sits there. I am still tracking this
down,
> I just wonder if anyone else has seen this also?

That doesn't sound like the same problem. Which version are you running?
There
have been some recent changes with the way timeouts are dealt with.

Cheers, Simon