I've built a b2b application using the commons HttpClient, and all works
extremely well.  The problem is, however, that the app is using up to 45% of
the CPU time ( as reported by various unix processes ( ps -aux, vmstat,
etc ) ).  The customer has a Sun 4500, running solaris, with two processors.

I've tried debugging the app's CPU usage using the -Xrunhprof:cpu=samples
parameter in the VM, and it returns the "hot spots" for CPU usage :

   1 74.67% 74.67% java/net/SocketInputStream.read      ([BII)I
   2  9.61% 84.28% java/net/PlainSocketImpl.available   ()I
   3  8.51% 92.79% java/net/PlainSocketImpl.doConnect
(Ljava/net/InetAddress;I)V

everything else is using less than 0.50% of the VMs CPU.

Since I'm not using these classes directly, I'm assuming that HttpClient is.
How can I make my app use less of the CPU?