Thank you all for your assistance.  I downloaded the nightly drop yesterday
and will go about compiling it today and testing under JDK 1.4.

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 1:09 PM
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: HttpClient and CPU usage.....

Busy wait has been fixed after 2.0a3 release. So, a recent nightly build
is needed. Besides, it turned out that Ken was using a rather old JDK
(1.2) which is known to have rather lousy JIT on Solaris platform. I
have already recommended Ken to upgrade both the JDK and the HttpClient

Cheers

Oleg

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 17:10, Tom Samplonius wrote:
>   What version of httpclient are you using?
>
>   I understand that a busy read loop was removed from httpclient a couple
> of weeks ago.  I'm not sure if this change was made for Alpha3, or whether
> you have to go the daily builds to get it.
>
> Tom
>

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Ken Clark wrote:
>
> > I've built a b2b application using the commons HttpClient, and all works
> > extremely well.  The problem is, however, that the app is using up to
45% of
> > the CPU time ( as reported by various unix processes ( ps -aux, vmstat,
> > etc ) ).  The customer has a Sun 4500, running solaris, with two
processors.

> > I've tried debugging the app's CPU usage using
the -Xrunhprof:cpu=samples