Adrian Sutton wrote:

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 08:55 AM, Om Narayan wrote:
[ ... ]
I have another question to add: How do I "prime" the connections in the
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager pool? I am running into a problem where
it is taking a long time (almost 30 secs using https) to open the first
connection. As a result the session bean that is opening the connection is
timing out. I need a way to make the first call to create the connection
work without timing out. Any suggestion is welcome.

I'd say the delay here is actually initialising JSSE rather than actually making the first connection. There should be a way to initialise JSSE without actually making a connection.
[ ... ]

This might be difficult. I ran in to a problem like this while using a JCE implementation. The setup time seems to be caused by Suns implementation of SecureRandom. The following thread may be useful:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jsp?thread=4250&forum=2&message=11205

--
Mike