In theory I agree, but I see a lot of uses of the O'Reilly multipart stuff,
which expects "multipart/form-data" (see:
http://www.servlets.com/cos/javadoc/com/oreilly/servlet/multipart/ MultipartParser.html)

Yes, please take a look at MultipartPostMethod.

I had a specific problem with the and x-www-form-urlencoded last week, which
is why I'm using PostMethod instead of the multipart version.

Were you experiencing a problem with PostMethod and encoding? Do you have any specifics?

What I would really like to see is the ability to set an encoding for a POST
method, and have the data be correctly encoded when the method is executed.
At very least, it would be nice to be able to set the encoding and enforce
the encoding myself when adding the name/values.

This is possible now. You can set the content type with post.setRequestHeader("Content-Type", "whatever"). Then the content can be set with post.setRequestBody(InputStream) or post.setRequestBody(String).

Mike