It's not clear to me how this can be a dead lock.

Eric Johnson wrote:
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.doGetConnection() - line 302, which reads "connectionPool.wait(timeToWait)",

This is a limited wait. Not infinite. Oleg, do we ensure that timeToWait>0 somehow?

and the other thread at

MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.ReferenceQueuedThread.run(), line 665, which reads "Reference ref = referenceQueue.remove();".

Both lines of code are in a block synchronized on the same object (connectionPool). So how can happen what you observe? Two different threads both in a synchronized block on the same object?