I know in the product we develop, we switched away from using java.net.URLEncoder because it didn't work properly. Unfortunately the decision was made before my time so I'm not entirely sure of the details and it could well be that the bugs were only present back in JRE 1.1. I'd say that if we have our own code already I'd continue to use it, but if not just test java.net.URLEncoder and I'll see if I can find out from some of the old timers at work exactly why we don't use it.

I've known us to not use something for legacy reasons or because it showed up bugs in our code as well, so don't take this as an objection, just a word of caution.

My only guess is that URLEncoder may not handle character encodings correctly. I agree that we might as well stick with the code we already have (once fixed).

Mike