On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 11:09 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ortwin -

Correct. I have completed the code using javax.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection
(Creating a special keymanager (for my crypto framework), setting up the
SSLContext, creating SSLSocketFactory, etc.) . I was just hoping that
HttpClient had a Socket factory already written for this functionality, as
it would buy me a few other things, mainly timeouts. I would be glad to
write the Socket factory myself, but I am unfortunately on a short
schedule. Would this functionality be of use to anyone else? If it is
something people would find useful, I would gladly contribute it.

There are few things in this world that aren't useful to more than one person. :) This is an area that I don't understand at all so I can't help out with any implementation but I would certainly be keen to see another ready-made solution get added to the contrib directory. My theory is that it's really only a matter of time until some big customer requests this feature for whatever reason and I have to go looking for a solution. :)

With the above disclaimer regarding my lack of knowledge in mind - I thought the SSLSocket factory that HttpClient used was completely compatible with the SSLSocketFactory you can plug into the JRE's HttpConnection setup, so if you already have a custom SSLSocketFactory up and working with the JRE's connections it should just work with HttpClient too (short of having to register a Protocol so HttpClient knows to use that SocketFactory).

I probably should just go to bed though. :)

Thanks,
  Matt Secoske

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.