Thanks for all the replies.
Unfortunately, the method URI.setDefaultProtocolCharset(CHARSET) that Manuel
proposed doesn't help in my case. It may work for PostMethod but it doesn't
for GetMethod when HttpMethodBase.setQueryString(NameValuePair[]) is used.
Method setQueryString(NameValuePair[]) already selects the charset for the
encoding (US-ASCII) and this is passed through to the method URI.encode()
that finally encodes the strings. There, the method
String.getBytes(charset), when called with US-ASCII, converts all special
characters like the German Umlaute to ASCII-Code 63 (question mark).

There is currently no way to define a different charset than US-ASCII for
the encoding with HttpMethodBase.setQueryString(NameValuePair[]). I think it
would be good if for the charset instead of the constant  US-ASCII the
method URI.getDefaultProtocolCharset() was used (then UTF-8 would be use as
default) or if there would be an other way to specify a different charset.

Martin