Oleg,

The change is fruitful. I executed my app on Sun JDK
1.4 and it works fine.  The connection goes thru.. as
expected.

so the real issue was IBM Implementation of JSSE.

thanks a lot for the valuable inputs.

-
NRR

--- "Kalnichevski, Oleg"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It looks like the problem occurs inside

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.tunnelCreated()
> method when HttpClient attempts to establish a
> secure tunnel via proxy. It would be interesting to
> find out if there are any log entries on the proxy
> side.
>
> Can you try to execute your application on Sun JDK
> 1.4 for a change? I have a slight suspicion that the
> problem may be somehow related to IBM implementation
> of JSSE
>
> Oleg

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.GetMethod.<init>
> [184] - enter GetMethod(String)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.setRequestBody
> [389] - enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.setRequestBody(String)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.PostMethod.clearRequestBody
> [215] - enter PostMethod.clearRequestBody()
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.clearRequestBody
> [212] - enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.clearRequestBody()
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.EntityEnclosingMethod.setRequestContentLength
> [295] - enter
> EntityEnclosingMethod.setRequestContentLength(int)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpState.setProxyCredentials
> [577] - enter HttpState.setProxyCredentials(String,
> String, Credentials
>
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.<init>
> [273] - Creating connection for www.ups.com via
> proxy
> using protocol https:443
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.getSoTimeout
> [618] - HttpConnection.getSoTimeout()
>
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.setSoTimeout
> [601] - HttpConnection.setSoTimeout(10000)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.getSoTimeout
> [618] - HttpConnection.getSoTimeout()
>
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
> [498] - enter HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpMethod)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod
> [549] - enter

HttpClient.executeMethod(HostConfiguration,HttpMethod,HttpState)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.setSoTimeout
> [601] - HttpConnection.setSoTimeout(0)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:32
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.open
> [644] - enter HttpConnection.open()
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.ConnectMethod.<init>
> [92] - enter ConnectMethod(HttpMethod)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.ConnectMethod.execute
> [200] - enter ConnectMethod.execute(HttpState,
> HttpConnection)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
> [1001] - enter HttpMethodBase.execute(HttpState,
> HttpConnection)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
> [1014] - Preemptively sending default basic
> credentials
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.HttpAuthenticator.authenticateDefault
> [242] - enter
> HttpAuthenticator.authenticateDefault(HttpMethod,
> HttpConnection, HttpState)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpState.getCredentials
> [493] - enter HttpState.getCredentials(String,
> String
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.HttpAuthenticator.authenticateProxyDefault
> [271] - enter

HttpAuthenticator.authenticateProxyDefault(HttpMethod,
> HttpState)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpState.getProxyCredentials
> [619] - enter HttpState.getCredentials(String,
> String
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.auth.BasicScheme.authenticate
> [153] - enter

BasicScheme.authenticate(UsernamePasswordCredentials)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
> [1022] - Default basic proxy credentials applied
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.execute
> [1040] - Execute loop try 1
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest
> [2552] - enter
> HttpMethodBase.processRequest(HttpState,
> HttpConnection)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.processRequest
> [2564] - Attempt number 1 to process request
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpMethodBase.writeRequest
> [2210] - enter
> HttpMethodBase.writeRequest(HttpState,
> HttpConnection)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.printLine
> [1034] - enter HttpConnection.printLine(String)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.writeLine
> [988] - enter HttpConnection.writeLine(byte[])
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.write
> [927] - enter HttpConnection.write(byte[])
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.write
> [949] - enter HttpConnection.write(byte[], int, int)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.writeLine
> [1003] - enter HttpConnection.writeLine()
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.write
> [927] - enter HttpConnection.write(byte[])
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpConnection.write
> [949] - enter HttpConnection.write(byte[], int, int)
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33
> org.apache.commons.httpclient.Wire.wire [119] - >>
> "CONNECT www.xyz.com:443 HTTP/1.1"
> DEBUG 07/11, 12:12:33

=== message truncated ===