My second point is related to "retrying" you have in your docs (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/tutorial.html - catch block of HttpRecovableException). When I do something like this, I found out that I had to call method.recycle() in the catch block, or the connection was not reinitialized and everything fails. Could you enlighten me on this? Is it a bug in the guide? (I have tried it on 2.0-b1).

Yep, it's a bug in the guide. The GetMethod should be created inside the while loop so that a new one is created for each retry. Calling recycle would also work. I've added it to my todo list to fix.

I'll leave someone more knowledgeable to answer your other questions as I'm not entirely sure.

Regards,

Adrian Sutton.

Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329