David,
I am a maintainer of my own private Java 1.1 compatible fork of
HttpClient (Some of my firm's clients insist on supporting MacOS 9
platform which does not have a Java 1.2 compatible JRE). I can assure
you there's much more to this problem than just one method call. I guess
that you must be using some sort of Java 1.2 collections framework
emulation library. I seriously do not know how it would be possible
otherwise.

Oleg