From: Michael Becke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 August 2003 9:32 a.m.
To: Commons HttpClient Project
Subject: Re: getMethod.getResponseBody() leaks handles

Hi David,

Yes, the sample code you posted leaks HttpConnections and therefore
Sockets.  This is because every time an instance of HttpClient is
created it also creates an instance of SimpleHttpConnectionManager.
This connection manager creates a new connection the first time it is
used.  This means one connection is lost each time through the loop.

Calling getResponseBody() implicitly releases the connection, though
this does not necessary mean the connection gets closed.  Calling
releaseConnection() in the case of a successful getResponseBody() is
redundant and therefore has no effect.  Having said that
releaseConnection() should still always be called to ensure that a
connection is released in the exception case.

The discrepancy between the two cases is most likely due to OS policies
for handling unused connections.  It looks like Linux eventually closes
the lost sockets, but Windows does not.

I would suggest reusing a single instance of a HttpConnectionManager.
Either a SimpleHttpConnectionManager or a
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager depending on your circumstances.

Mike