Mike,
Are there any reasons for NOT automatically releasing connection? I
can't think of any. We should still require
HttpMethod#releaseConnection() to be called explicitly regardless if
there was an exception or not, but in those cases where we can be sure
that the connection is not needed anymore, we should do it
automatically.

Oleg