Dennis Cook wrote:
If I might inject a comment from a users viewpoint. We use HttpClient in our
VXML interpreter.  For any given fetch the application developer can provide
a "timeout" for the fetch.  When a method is generated we would need to pass
this timeout down to the connection the method uses.

So the REAL problem is not how to set a timeout on the underlying connection, BUT to have a means to ABORT an executing method! That way you could easily realize the timeout on the user side (or even inside HttpClient) without even having to care about the connection. So I propose to focus on HttpMethod::abort.