It would seem that the latest Tomcat (4.1.29) has engaged in a subtle change in behavior with respect to cookies. When I ran it this morning, nine of the cookie related test cases failed. Last week, I was running with Tomcat 4.1.27, and everything worked fine.

Since I had it readily available, I fell back to Tomcat 4.1.18 (I deleted 4.1.27, unfortunately, and Apache is no longer hosting it) and ran the tests again, and got all of the tests to pass with no errors.

Upon inspection, the failures would seem to be due to the test servlet returning:

<tt>simplecookie=value</tt>

instead of:

<tt>simplecookie="value"</tt>

Which is right - our test cases, or the new behavior?

-Eric.