> In other words, can we assume that reusing the HTTP connection is
> unreliable/should be avoided if there are more bytes available than specified
> with Content-Length?

Christian,
Again, there's a similar problem. How long do you think we should wait on a connection
to be really sure that there's no garbage coming out of it? I think this timeout is
the performance hit Odi was talking about. Besides, regardless how long you wait there
can never be 100% certainty that the connection is completely 'clean'. You could still
potentially get some garbage out of persistent connection when reading the status line
of the following response. So, we are pretty much back to where we started

You are welcome to come up with a better solution than the exiting, but I am afraid
there's none that it is truly bullet-proof.