Sam, if i remember correctly, you proposed something like this as an addition to the MultithreadedHttpConnectionManager. I would still like to take this idea and make it a little more generic for use with all connections. Hopefully I will find some time to work on this > soon.

I am going on vacation on Wednesday until the 19th, but after I come back I will find some time to submit a minimal patch for the changes we are currently employing in LimeWire. It is not a full-blown pluggable system, but it gets the job done. Hopefully it will be a good starting point for expanding it into a more generic system.

Thanks,
 Sam