Folks,
Before we can start articulating our further plans, there's one important decision to
be made which cannot be put off any longer. We have to decide on the next release
number.

I am afraid with all the recent changes (new preference architecture,
HttpMethodDirector, better exception handling framework, saner authentication code,
Commons-Codec, and much more) we can no longer consider the development version of
HttpClient a minor release. Version 2.1 would no longer be appropriate, I fear. Too
much has changed, even though the HttpMethod interface, the hallmark of 2.0 API
architectural ugliness, is still there. Yet, version 3.0 is so tightly associated in
my mind with the much talked about complete API overhaul, that I am hesitant to simply
move one major version ahead with the current release, leaving the API redesign for
4.0.

I personally tend to lean towards calling the next release 2.5. It is unconventional,
but, I feel, best reflects the magnitude of change in HttpClient code.

What do you think?