> My suggestion would be to also investigate the possibility of HttpClient
> being promoted (in Bugzilla only) to a "project" rather than a component
> of commons, and also see about having the Bugzilla version updated.

Eric,
I think it's a brilliant idea. It does make sense that HttpClient gets treated
slightly differently than other peer Commons sub-projects due to a higher volume of
bug reports/feature requests we get. Out of 100 some open bug reports in
Jakarta-Commons project 30 some are ours. When first 3.0-alpha comes out, this number
is quite likely to increase substantially.

Unfortunately, I do know how difficult that would be (if technically feasible at all).

>     As
>       it is, it seems unfair to compare to JIRA with respect to this
>      issue, because migrating to JIRA will apparently make HttpClient a
>      "top" level project- thus comparing apples to oranges.

I believe JIRA can assign a unique versioning scheme on a per component (in Bugzilla
parlance sub-project) basis. But you have a point here, anyways.