Dave,

Realm is a set of documents/URLs protected by the same authentication
scheme and backed by the same user registry. You may leave the realm
parameter null if you do not know what your authentication realm name
is. Null realm basically means any realm. In very security caution
applications you should probably avoid sending your credentials to any
realm, but if you trust the target host, realm does not really matter
too much, if you do not have to authenticate against multiple realms

I am afraid I can't be of any further help, unless I get to see the
wirelog on the HTTP session in question. Feel free to strip or obfuscate
all the information you deem sensitive: host names, username, passwords,
upload file content, etc. I am only interested in request/response
headers

Oleg