I see. If we limit the retries to 401 and 407, we're safe, per the RFC:
401:
"The client MAY repeat the
   request with a suitable Authorization header field"
407:
"The
   client MAY repeat the request with a suitable Proxy-Authorization
   header field "

Most of the other 40x are fatal and should not be retried.
So a simple interface (3 methods: isRetriable(), resetStream(),
getInputStream() ??) sounds like a good idea.

Thanks
Moh