Yes, setting CONTENT_LENGTH_AUTO does buffer the content. However, in doing this I realized it's not really the best solution since the content will get sent twice (although, it gets ignored the first time). So, it's not efficient.

In retrospect what I really want to do is establish the connection once (perhaps by sending an OPTIONS request), retain the digest challenge string, then send each subsequent request (including puts) with the appropriate auth header.

Now, I'm trying to go through the HttpAuthenticator code and figure out how to do that. If anyone has any experience with this I would appreciate hearing about it. I am fairly new to HttpClient.

Thanks for your input,
Jen