[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2004-08-10 17:12 -------
I have a complete template system that browses and parses webpages using
multi-line regex'es.  The test page was about 6-10K, on a local server with
little delay.  The measure was on the number of pages I could process in the
whole system with a limit on memory (256MB).  I can't send you the complete code
(my boss would hang me), but what I can say is that before that method was one
of the main bottlenecks, now it's the regular expression code.  The system being
tested is massively parallel, limited only by the number of threads on the
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager and on my executor (I'm using Doug Lea's
excelent concurrent library to manage works).  My settings were 500-1000
concurrent conns to that website.  Anything else?

When dealing with such a complex system, just measuring the overall throughput can be totally wrong and misleading. I suggest you run a decent profiling of your application to see where the *real* bottlenecks are. I mean 1000 concurrent connections to a webserver are extreme.

 NOSE applied intelligence ag

 software engineer