On 5/16/11 11:56 AM, Fred Bauder wrote:
> There is no good reason to conform to blue-nose standards.

This is where I strongly disagree.  Rightly or wrongly, the reality is
that first-time visitors will make an overall conclusion about Commons
based on what they see on the front page, and that conclusion in turn
affects decisions about whether to contribute the stashes of old photos
to Commons, to another site not committed to freeness, or simply to
forget about them and not contribute at all.

To look at it another way, we already pick and choose what goes on the
front page - we don't put up the latest blurry phone camera pic of
somebody making random shapes with the fingers, we only put up our
better material.  Why do we do that?  Could it be that we are trying to
make a good impression on visitors?

Stan