On Mon, 16 May 2011, Cary Bass wrote:

> On 05/16/2011 12:17 PM, Tobias Oelgarte wrote:
>> In Japan it is a well known topic, in India i can't see any confusion
>> about this image (it is on the mainpage) and Turkey decided to feature
>> this image without any concern:
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anime_Girl.svg
> That is a non-argument.  Firstly, the Main page on many Wikipedias
> defaults to the Main Page on Commons, because those Wikipedias trust
> Commons to make appropriate choices, which it has not, unfortunately, in
> this instance.

Actaully, I think it has made the absolutely right choice - to stick to
it's founding principle of being not censored.

> Our goal is not to shock and surprise the end user, and in doing so, we
> have to respect the end user, which is not well-reflected by the make-up
> of the general Commons community.

We best respect our end users by doing exactly what we say we will do -
i.e. provide an uncensored repository of educational and educationally
useful free media.

----
Chris McKenna

cmcke...@sucs.org