On 11 October 2011 16:53, WereSpielChequers <werespielchequ...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know how Google does it, but I'd bet that our search prioritises by
> word order in the description. So a description that starts Pearl Necklace
> comes before "A white pearl necklace". If you amend the description them I
> suspect the search results will change.

There's some notes on the internals of Lucene-search here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Rainman/search_internals

"Article content" presumably is the same as the image description in
our context. I don't know quite what the "rank" metric would mean in
the Commons context - presumably, only links from local pages on
Commons count?

It may be that more controversial images provoke more meta-discussion,
with more links to them as a result (from talkpages, deletion
discussions, etc) and so are more likely to appear "popular" to the
search system, but that's just a guess.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.g...@dunelm.org.uk