I dont think there is any 'documentation' for it.

From looking at
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/jelly/trunk/jelly-tags/ant/src/java/org/apache/commons/jelly/task/JellyTask.java?view=markup

once you've taskdef'd it, you should be able to just set the 'file'
attribute and away you go:

<jelly file="${basedir}/scripts/a.jelly"/>

What did you use for the classpath of the taskdef'd task? It would
need to be all of Jelly's dependencies as well as jelly and the ant
tag lib.

Jelly's dependencies are:

jexl-1.0.jar, xml-apis-1.0.b2.jar, commons-beanutils-1.6.jar,
commons-collections-2.1.jar, commons-logging-1.0.3.jar,
dom4j-1.5.2.jar, jaxen-1.1-beta-4.jar, xerces-2.2.1.jar,
commons-lang-2.0.jar, jstl-1.0.6.jar