This sounds like a bug. It would be best to raise a JIRA report with a small test case (not involving xstream)

Stephen

Huertas Fernández wrote:
Hi all, I'm having problems with serialization/deserialization of a Buffer. My
idea is to implement a persistent queue using the UnboundedFifoBuffer (well, I
want synchronized access, so I use SynchronizedBuffer too):

private Buffer queue = BufferUtils.synchronizedBuffer(new
UnboundedFifoBuffer());

When I serialize the queue to disk an it has elements, all works ok, but when I
serialize an empty queue I have some problems when I create a new object using
the serialized file(BTW, I'm using XStream 1.1.3 to produce the XML).

<org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.SynchronizedBuffer>

  <collection class="org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.UnboundedFifoBuffer"
serialization="custom">

    <org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.UnboundedFifoBuffer>

      <default/>

      <int>0</int>

    </org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.UnboundedFifoBuffer>

  </collection>

  <lock class="org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.SynchronizedBuffer"
reference=".."/>

</org.apache.commons.collections.buffer.SynchronizedBuffer>

When I deserialize the queue it has a 'buffer' with size 1 (with null content),
'tail' and 'head' fields are 0 (they are declared transient). So, when I try to
add a new object to the queue, the sentence:

Object[] tmp = new Object[((buffer.length - 1) * 2) + 1];

Is executed in the add() method to increase the buffer length, but the buffer remains with the same size! (buffer.length = 1 --> (1 - 1) * 2 + 1 = 1). So, the object is added and when the tail is going to be incremented, it is reset to 0!!
    private int increment(int index) {

        if (index >= buffer.length) {

            index = 0;

        }

        return index;

    }

So it is impossible to add new elements after an empty queue has been
serialized / deserialized.

I have solved it just not saving empty queues but deleting the file instead,
but I wanted to write to the list to know if this is a bug in the
UnboundedFifoBuffer or maybe is caused by the way Xtream serializes (but I
don't think so).

Thanks in advance,

Jose Luis.