Hi Phil,

Here is the config for the physical connections:

         <Resource name="jdbc/MyCPDS"
            auth="Container"
            type="oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource"
            factory="oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSourceFactory"
            url="jdbc:oracle:thin:@some_url:1521:some_sid"/>

Yes, I know about the differences between PerUserPoolDataSource and
SharedPoolDataSource and I agree that the test for PerUserPoolDataSource
was not valid as you've indicated and I will try it again.

However, I've used the same configuration for the SharedPoolDataSource
with the same negative results.

Also, in both cases when I've used ds.getConnection() I've obtained the
raw Oracle connection but I've expected to get
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnection as with the
BasicDataSource.  Note, that I am not expecting to get
OraclePooledConnection as you've indicated as this would be wrong as the
OraclePooledConnection (that implements javax.sql.PooledConnection) is
supposed to be used internally by the Pool Manager implementation. The
OraclePooledConnection does not implement java.sql.Connection.  So, what
the DBCP's Pool Manager should do is to wrap the OraclePooledConnection
with the org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.PoolableConnection (or some other
wrapper that implements java.sql.Connection interface) and return the
latter to the client.

Is it not the case with DBCP?