Each insert is a separate "call" to a separate "insert" tag that I defined in
my dbutils.  Each insert is in a separate transaction.

So, for instance, here's my "insert" tag:

  <define:tag name="insert">
        <sql:transaction dataSource="${ds}">
         <j:catch var="ex">
          <sql:update sql="insert into ${table} VALUES (${values})" var="upd"/>
         </j:catch>
         <j:if test="${ex != null}">
         FAILED INSERT. <j:expr value="${ex}"/>
         <ant:fail message="Failed table insert" />
         </j:if>
        </sql:transaction>
  </define:tag>

I essentially call this about 18000 times with different parameters.  Watching
the task manager, the memory usage slowly increases as it inserts rows.