Wafa,
So – let me say this.  I see a document here – which lays out the policies –
and provides a perspective of problems, it also lists the pros and cons.  Yes,
Lazarus may have used the foundation to lobby for its position, but – one of
the things that I have long accepted in my life is – if you believe in
something – you have to lobby for it – and to be frank – the summary that I see
in this document – is something that by and large – should have been done long
before they got around to it.
If I, as an individual, feel strongly about something, I am entirely free to go
and advocate for my position.  I am also entirely free to sponsor people to
come to a public meeting – and I am entirely free to choose those people as I
so wish, if I choose the people who agree with me, well, that’s life – but it
certainly aint against the rules, it is the political nature of internet policy
development.  Do you think that similar does not happen elsewhere?  People
lobby for the positions that they care about.  It happens in politics, it
happens in life, and yet now we want to cry when someone else does the same
thing.
Let me also say – it’s not like this hasn’t been happening before – and I want
to quote from the OIF website: IOF organises political activities and actions
of multilateral cooperation that benefit French-speaking populations.
Yet – this is an organization that for years has spent money filling the room
with people – and that statement does not say – is of benefit to Africa – it
does not say is of benefit to the African continent – it does not say is to the
benefit of the continent – it singles out a single demographic on the continent
and says – we do what we do for their benefit.   Now, let me be very clear, if
they wish to do that – I’m actually ok with it – though I admit I have waivered
on this stance – however, we cannot say – because it’s a government political
organization – it’s ok – but when a member chooses to have a foundation – and
sponsor people to the meetings – and then lobby for the positions that member
is passionate about – suddenly its wrong.  That is called hypocrisy.
In Point Noire, I watched people walk to the microphone – with slips of paper
and read a comment on a policy – and then go and sit down – and the same
happened in Botswana.  Except, what I found was, when queried on the position
that was taken at the microphone, the individual reading what they had off the
paper, had patently obviously never read the policy and didn’t understand the
position they were taking themselves.  So who was behind that?  And all of that
– is on video for the world to see – but – it was ok then – suddenly it changes
now because we don’t like the individual doing it?
Sorry – this isn’t the way it works – and let me be clear – Lu Heng is not a
friend of mine, and in fact in Mauritius I had some pretty strong things to say
to him to his face, in front of others who will testify to what I said to him –
however – I respect his rights as a member to participate in what is
essentially a democratic process, that means – I respect his right to lobby for
his views, I respect his right to put boots on the ground, and I respect his
right to have his say.  In the same way – I respect the right of any member to
do that – and I respect the right of the members to then rebut what is said if
they do not agree with it.    It is through this lobbying position and through
the back and forth that accompanies it, that great policy is born – it is not
through acquiescence, nor is it through the silencing of the rights of others.
My view – if anyone wants to come into the room and have their say – so be it –
that is bottom up.  If people want to lobby their positions – so be it – that
is bottom up.  If people want to spend money running tv adverts about their
positions for all I care – so be it – that is the nature of the democratic
position.  If people want to bus a thousand people who share their views –
again – so be it – that is the democratic process.   However, it is the
community who then need to rebut – but – the rebuttal should be on the policy
itself.  What I see here however, is a rebuttal of policy and a lobbying
position taken on the *content* of the policy – unlike what I have seen time
and again in the meetings where the lobbying position has NOTHING to do with
the content or the policy.
So rather than malign Lazarus for their actions here – quite frankly, reading
this document, and as much as as I have said, Lu and I have some serious
differences, I applaud Lazarus for the comprehensive work – and I applaud them
for taking a stance that was based on the policy and I embrace their right to
lobby for their position in any way shape or form.  That is not to say I agree
with the positions taken in this document – I will reserve my policy comments
for the policies and based on my own interpretation of such – but – I embrace
the fact that at least, it was done based on what was written, and not on
personal relationships, personal attacks, demographics, or anything else.

So – to Lazarus – thank you for a job well done in the fact that you lobbied
your position based on the policies – and left the other garbage behind, which
is what we so often see.

Finally – again – I respect the right to do what they did – and

THAT IS DEMOCRATIC

Thanks

Andrew