John,

While I agree wholeheartedly that in the course of litigation answers may be
hard to come by – the clause I refer to in the companies act has little to do
with the litigation when it stands in isolation – it raises a question about if
the company cannot pay its debtors – in any circumstance – irrespective of
litigation.

Now, further to this – yes a company may be able to say little during
litigation – but – when an entity goes to the community and its members –
asking for money to fund itself through a hard time, any prudent person who is
going to donate money – is going to want to know certain basic things

  1.  How will the money they are diverting from other projects be spent
  2.  Are the individuals in control of the entity requesting money behaving in
a way that is both within the bounds of the law and doing everything reasonable
to ensure that the amount of money being requested is kept to a minimum – I.E –
that they aren’t taking actions that would increase the burden on members any
more than it already is
  3.  Is the board complying with their fiduciary duties in all of their
actions.

If the answers are not clear – an entity may well decide not to donate a single
cent – because to do so could well be akin to enabling bad behavior.  So while
these questions may seem irrelevant normally – in the context of being asked
for money over and above the fees members pay every year – they are very
pertinent in my view.  And if the company should indeed be under the control of
an administrator – that is something we need to know before we start donating
money.

Andrew