On 18 Aug 2021, at 1:54 PM, Sander Steffann <san...@steffann.nl> wrote:

> Hi John,

Hi Sander!  :-)

>> These are quite reasonable questions for anyone donating funds to any
>> cause to ask. [...] I find it quite encouraging that so many
>> organizations have already pondered these questions, and (in
>> recognition of the key role AFRINIC plays in the development and
>> growth of Internet in Africa) that have come together in a fund-
>> raising exercise to help keep AFRINIC running – may they find many of
>> similar mind and kindred spirit from around the globe.
>
> I applaud that people are thinking about the staff of AFRINIC not being
> paid and raising funds to keep them going. The thing that confuses me
> is how the logistics work with that. I wonder how the money that is
> donated on TESPOK's bank account in Kenya will end up in the bank
> accounts of AFRINIC staff in Mauritius while AFRINIC (who I presume
> must handle the payments to the staff, tax payments and such things)
> has its bank accounts frozen. Is it as easy as TESPOK paying the staff
> and taxes directly without going through AFRINIC's bank accounts?

“As easy as” may understate it somewhat, but yes, I believe that is the case.
(I will note that this is similar to the process which would have to occur for
delivering support from the Joint RIR Stability Fund - if such gets requested
at some point.)

> I think it would be good to know how the donated funds will be handled
> and how they will make life for AFRINIC staff better.

From the online FAQ at the donation website
<https://www.tespok.co.ke/?page_id=14001
<https://www.tespok.co.ke/?page_id=14001>> -

>> Why is AFRINIC not doing this themselves?
>> AFRINIC has no access to funding that it may receive directly. Although you
>> may make deposits into the AFRINIC’s banking accounts (as some new members
>> are doing) AFRINIC can not draw on those resources because of the current
>> status quo. As a result Af-IX and partners are taking it upon ourselves to
>> front-end the funding experience for AFRINIC.
>>
>> How will the funds be disbursed?
>> TESPOK will reach out to AFRINIC to request for details of pending payments,
>> to which AFRINIC will submit funding request to us for all expenses which
>> they deem critical.The request shall be made via e-mail and shall include
>> the following details:
>>
>> i. Email with the subject: Request for Payment to the TESPOK finance email
>> ii. Attachment of invoice clearly stating Payee name with clear contact
>> information: physical address; postal address; payee telephone number
>> iii. Bank account details: Bank Name, Branch, Account Number, IBAN Number,
>> Intermediary Bank if required, SWIFT code, Sort Code, Routing Number
>> (depending on jurisdiction receiving requirements)
>> iv. Copies of all transactions incoming and outgoing will be accessible via
>> a report on the fundraising site.
>> How will you ensure appropriate auditing is in place?
>>
>> i. Maintenance of proper books of accounts with records of all transactions
>> incoming and outgoing
>> ii. Internal audit checks and controls will be established

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO