On Sat, 2002-11-09 at 04:25, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Please, let me ask you a few questions. I would be very happy if you or
> others could answer them:
>
> 1) was Catalina voted as Tomcat 4.0 explicitly by the majority of the
> tomcat dev community?

True.

> 2) did the above vote take place when Tomcat was at 3.2 version?

True.

> 3) is it true that Tomcat 3.3 was released *after* tomcat 4.0 was
> release and that was *not* a bugfix release but an alternative
> development branch?

True ( released after, not a bugfix - it wasn't a branch but the trunk
for 3.x ).

Tomcat 3.3 release also had a majority of the tomcat-dev community.
Most people working on 4.0 voted +-0 or abstained - and the same
happened when 4.0 was released, with people working on 3.3 abstaining.

As I said - the majority controls the name and the release. A majority
of tomcat committers can vote to make a release called Tomcat-anything,
and the release can't be vetoed.

> 4) is it true that at some point and for a while two different set of
> committers were working on two different tomcat codebases and both
> released as *tomcat* because of technical divergences?

That's also true. A lot of code was shared between the 2 codebases
( same jasper, ajp connector ) and a lot of ideas were common.
Some thing were very different ( target VM, hooks, size/features
trade-off ). Other things started different but become identical
( facades for example ).

That's the whole point of a revolution - to improve the community
and the code. One thing is very sure - we learned a lot from each
other, and that wouldn't have been true if one set moved out.

To answer one unasked question - a majority vote on a revolution
branch doesn't mean everyone is required to abandon other revolutions
or the main trunk and work on the new codebase. It just means the
revolution is accepted and can move out of proposal state and be
released using the project name. Other revolutions can happen at any
time.

I suppose that in httpd, if a proposal is made to add some
feature to apache1.3 and it gets a majority vote - it could
happen.

Costin